Share/Bookmark

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Teaching About the Holy Ghost

The last verse of "If I Listen With My Heart" is all about the Holy Ghost.  I know this has been done before, but I put a bunch of stuff in a bag that had attributes of the Holy Ghost.  Then I had helpers pull out one object at a time as "clues."  At this point I didn't tell them who we were talking about.  After all the clues were out of the bag, I had each child holding an item come up to the front.  Believe it or not, no one guessed the person the clues belonged to.

As I described what each clue meant, (omitting the name, "Holy Ghost") the child held up his/her item for all to see.  It didn't take long before hands were being raised, as they recognized who I was talking about.  These are the clues/items:


The little MOUTH is to help you remember that the Holy Ghost will SPEAK to you in a still, small voice.

The EAR in the bag will remind you to always LISTEN to the Holy Ghost so that you can always choose the right.

The Holy Ghost will COMFORT you like a warm BLANKET.  The Holy Ghost will comfort you and give you strength when you choose the right and have to stand alone.

The RULER will help you remember that the Holy Ghost is a TEACHER. The Holy Ghost will help you understand and know the truth as you study the scriptures and learn.

The Holy Ghost will LIGHT YOUR WAY like a CANDLE and help you walk along righteous paths.

The HEART shows how much Jesus loves you.  He wants you to show your LOVE for Him by obeying the commandments.  Always stay close to Him and you will be truly happy.

THEN we learned the last verse of the song.  I was so impressed with how well they learned it, and felt the spirit very strongly this week in singing time.  

3 comments:

  1. I love to use objects, Susan. These are great. It is sooo hard to help children understand the Holy Ghost. This is a great suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good! Thanks for the great idea! I am going to teach the last vs. tomorrow and I love how you did it thanks for saving me so much time!

    ReplyDelete